29 Mar Update On Executive Order 13083
The Good News!!
- 1. Three Congressmen have introduced legislation to stop Executive Order 13083.
* Rep. Bob Barr – H.R.4196
* Rep. Joe Scarborough – H.R.4232
* Rep. Mac Collins – H.Con.Res.299
All three bills are in the House Reform and Oversight Committee, chaired by Rep. David McIntosh.
All three are waiting for Committee action.
2. Rep. McIntosh held hearings on Tuesday, July 28th. Mayors, governors and state legislators gave shocked White House officials a two hour tongue lashing. The White House immediately began a retreat promising to “renegotiate” the Executive Order. There was also talk of putting a temporary “hold” on E.O. 13083. Congress sent the White House a letter demanding that E.O. 13083 be withdrawn.
THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS CONGRESS HAS CHALLENGED ANY CLINTON EXECUTIVE ORDERS. THE WHITE HOUSE IS IN SHOCK AT THE OUTPOURING OF ANGER.
THE BAD NEWS
- 1. Clinton has not withdrawn or put a temporary hold on E.O.13083. Pretending to rewrite it with input from local governments is a clever ruse. It must be rescinded.2. Rep. Barr said this morning that Congress probably will not act on any legislation to rescind E.O 13083 before the August 7th recess.
3. Clinton is stalling for time.
WE MUST KEEP UP THE PRESSURE. CONGRESS MUST ACT – BEFORE THE AUGUST 7TH RECESS (OR E.O.13083 WILL GO INTO EFFECT AUTOMATICALLY)
ACTION TO TAKE
- 1. CALL REP. MCINTOSH. Demand that he not delay action on this vital issue. He must bring at least one of the above bills out of his committee now. Rep. McIntosh’s Phone number: 202-225-3021 Fax: 202-225-3382. e-mail: [email protected]2. KEEP UP THE PRESSURE ON SPEAKER NEWT GINGRICH. He is the one who will decide if a bill gets a floor vote. He must lead the fight against E.O. 13083. Speaker Gingrich’s phone number: 202-225-0600 Fax: 202-225-7733
3. CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN. Demand that he support efforts to stop E.O.13083. He should co-sponsor one of the above bills. Capitol switchboard: 202-225-3121 (just ask for your congressman by name and you will be connected to his office)
4. SEND THIS ALERT TO AT LEAST FIVE MORE PEOPLE.
WE ARE FINALLY GETTING SOME ACTION – BUT IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO STOP E.O.13083.
WE MUST KEEP UP THE PRESSURE.