13 Oct Fierce Battle is Raging Over Kempthorne Endangered Species Act (ESA) Bill!
URGENT ALERT! URGENT ALERT!
Although property rights activists have held steady for nearly a week in opposition to the Kempthorne ESA Bill’s inclusion to the Omnibus Spending Bill, the well-financed timber industry (quietly backed by powerful green groups) has unleashed a high-dollar professional lobbying campaign to push this monster over the top.
The Kempthorne ESA Bill is terrible legislation for property owners:
- * It does nothing to protect private property rights. * It’s endorsed by Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt.
* No hearings have been held in the House of Representatives.
* The Timber Industry (which was heavily involved in writing the bill) has agreed to sell out property owners in exchange for a bad timber deal.
* It’s a lose-lose proposition for our side.
A deal may be struck before Thursday so TIME IS SHORT!!!!
We must redouble our efforts to counter those of the Timber and Green lobbies. We’ve had a major impact so far and if we keep the heat turned up we can win this battle! WE MUST KEEP THE KEMPTHORNE ESA BILL OFF THE OMNIBUS SPENDING BILL!
ACTION TO TAKE:
- (1) Keep the calls pouring into the offices of key Congressmen and Senators that are listed below. Tell these lawmakers (A) that the Kempthorne ESA Bill is just as harmful to property owners (if not more so) than the current ESA law. (B) It is Congress’ DUTY to have full and open debate on all bills, but ESPECIALLY bills that will have such a profound impact on property owners. (C) This is a sneak attack by the greens and the timber industry to slip this legislation into a huge bill that will get no debate.Key members of Congress to call:
House Speaker Newt Gingrich: 202-225-4501
House Majority Leader Dick Army: 202-225-7772
House Majority Whip Tom Delay: 202-225-5951
Congressman Livingston: 202-225-3015
Congressman Dan Young: 202-225-5765
Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott: 202-224-6253
Senator Ted Stevens: 202-224-3004
Senator Don Nichols: 202-224-5754
Senator Slade Gorton: 202-224-3441