14 May Every Child Will Be Left Behind—Unless You Take Immediate Action!
May 14, 2001
Question: How do you feel about an education bill that angers conservatives and has Ted Kennedy happier than Ted Kennedy in a liquor store?
On May 9, the House Committee on Education and the Workforce passed the dreadful H.R. 1 (a.k.a. the “No Child Left Behind Act”), much to the kudos of Senator Edward Kennedy. H.R. 1 will now come before the House of Representatives for a full vote on Wednesday, May 16. WE MUST STOP IT!
In its current form, H.R. 1 is more damaging than the Clinton-era education bill in 1994 and the failed education bill of last year. Perhaps most telling, Sen. Ted Kennedy loves H.R. 1, as the bill provides for the BIGGEST FEDERAL TAKEOVER OF EDUCATION IN RECENT MEMORY!
Specifically, here are just a few of the major, MAJOR problems with H.R. 1:
1. The Federal Department of Education will strengthen its stranglehold on local schools and force Outcome-based Education into every classroom: H.R. 1 reauthorizes the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). This means that states will be tied to federal content standards such as Goals 2000 and School-to-Work, for fear of losing federal funds.
2. Your child’s teacher may legally act as his or her parent: Under H.R. 1’ s broad definition of “in loco parentus” almost any adult can stand in the place of a parent. The most egregious example of what this can lead to was played out a few years ago in Pennsylvania where young children were forced to undergo genital exams against their will, and the will of their parents. Several parents sued and won, however, the children remain scarred.
3. H.R. 1 will NOT fix education—as President Bush promised. H.R. 1 is more of the same that has caused the education crisis.
YOU MUST CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE NOW!
CALL EARLY AND OFTEN!
THIS BILL MUST BE STOPPED BEFORE ANOTHER CHILD IS LEFT BEHIND!
** Action to Take **
1. Call your Representative and demand that he or she NOT support H.R. 1 in its current form. Capitol Hill House Switchboard: (202) 225-3121.
2. Click here to send this Action Alert to up to ten of your friends.